Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hidden Sugars - Let's look in my cupboard & you can look in yours

I have quite a bit of foods in my home still that I will never eat again. They're just sitting in my cupboard. Hmmmm... It's really crazy to think about how unhealthy I used to eat, although I didn't realize how bad it really was at the time. I am so thankful that I found the resources that I need to get healthy, and hope that by sharing them with you, you can also get on the path to better health. I think tonight, I'll box them up so I can donate them to my local food bank. Before I do that, though, I'll go through a few products and list the sugar/carb values so that you get an idea of how many foods have hidden sugars.

Here we go... (I'm sure some will be okay, but I'm expecting most will be bad, knowing what I know now)

IGA Canned Green Beans (1/2 Cup) - 2/1
Sugars 2g / Carbs 4g

Hy-Top Small Whole White Potatoes (2/3 cup) - 0/2
Sugars 0g / Carbs 22g

Fred Meyer Natural Applesauce (1/2 cup) - 12/1
Sugars 12g / Carbs 15g

Del Monte 100 Calorie Pear Halves Naturally Sweetened (1/2 cup) - 12/1
Sugars 12g / Carbs 15g

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I thought naturally sweetened fruit was supposed to be good for me? So glad I'm learning and I hope you are, too. Let's continue....

Smucker's Magic Shell Chocolate Flavor (2 Tbsp) - 16/1
Sugars 16g / Carbs 17g - Not to mention, a whopping 210 calories for those 2 tiny tablespoons.

Campbell's Tomato Soup (1/2 cup) - 12/1
Sugars 12g / Carbs 20g - We all know how tiny 1/2 cup is! Sheesh!

and, lastly... One from the fridge. I wanted to bring this one up because most of us view this as a health food. At least I did. I was so wrong. Most yogurt is loaded with sugars.

Yoplait Light Fat-Free Yogurt (6 oz) -  14/1
Sugars 14g / Carbs 19g - I used to eat this all the time!

As you can see, most things with the exception of the Magic Shell, sound pretty healthy, right? Remember, anything over 15 grams of sugar per day and 6 servings of carbs that we eat, will stick to us like glue. What I read on the labels sure surpised me. Especially when it came to all the hidden sugars. No wonder I used to eat healthy and still not lose weight. Heck! I even gained it. It feels nice to know you can get control back, doesn't it?

Okay, I want to hear from you. Go look in your cupboards for me, comment on this post, and give me some examples of what surprised you the most as far as hidden sugars.

1 comment:

  1. You gotta watch anything canned since it has to be preserved through a lot of sodium. Just when you think it's healthy, you look at the labels for soup or vegetables even. It's such a shame. I love canned green beans, too.

    ReplyDelete